When the thermometer starts climbing above the 70′s we, here in the boston haus, like to take the opportunity to walk out of our kitchen to make our dinners outdoors. What is it about cooking outside that makes food taste so much better? Maybe it’s the sunshine, or the bounty of fresh vegetables waiting to be eaten. Whatever the reason, one truth remains: food tastes best when grilled outside, preferably with chilled beer in hand.
To me, nothing beats grilled chicken legs – moist dark meat with crispy skin rubbed in spices. Warm or cold, grilled with corn or just by itself as a snack – it’s perfect. Unfortunately, as a child grilled chicken in my house meant breast meat that was over cooked with burnt bbq sauce on top. This, my friends, is not the way to enjoy chicken. When I got my own grill I promised myself to find a fool-proof recipe so that my future children wouldn’t have the same association.
One of the spices that perks my ears and forces me to pay attention to any recipe is cumin. When I saw this recipe I knew I had to try it, and of course up the cumin amount. The second thing I noticed was that I had everything on hand to make it, no special trips to special stores (ie:
Whole Paycheck, I mean Whole Foods). At first bite you experience the sweet honey glaze but then you get a kick from the spice rub – the chili powders and cumin mingling, having a party on your taste buds. “This is it!” I thought to myself, this is my go-to chicken recipe. Simple to make, quick to cook, and tasty to boot. I’m satisfied to know that this is what my children will think about when they hear that chicken is for dinner.
Spicy Honey Glazed Chicken Legs
Adapted from Cooking Light
- 1 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 2 chicken legs, thigh and leg seperated
- 3 tablespoons honey
- 2 teaspoons cider vinegar
- Preheat grill – Once up to temperature (above 400 degrees), lightly rub grill with cooking oil, replace lid till ready.
- Combine first 6 ingredients in a large bowl. Add chicken to bowl; toss to coat. Combine honey and vinegar in a small bowl, stirring well, and set aside.
- Add chicken to grill and cooked covered for 6 to 8 minutes.
- Brush chicken with 1/2 of the honey glaze and flip over, coat the top of the chicken legs with the remaining glaze – replace lid and cook for another 6 to 8 minutes – remove chicken from grill when done.
David Bonom, Cooking Light